News & Events
Vacancy announcement for female fact-checker
Panos South Asia (PSA) believes in the need to strengthen accountability in politics and journalism in Nepal and across South Asia as an effective way to consolidate democracy.
It is important that public figures be held to account for what they say and claim. Media, which has such an important role in holding public figures to account, also displays bias. In some extreme cases, media has misrepresented facts.
Therefore, Panos South Asia has set up a fact-checking website (southasiacheck.org) to encourage transparency and accountability in politics and media.
We are seeking applications from qualified and interested individuals for the position of a fact-checker for short term (from April-June end) with possibility of extension. Journalists interested in research are ideal candidates. This position is reserved for Nepali female candidates.
Fact-checkers have to be absolutely impartial and non-partisan. Our fact-checkers cannot be members of political parties and political party-affiliated bodies or professional unions.
- Must be a graduate in any social sciences discipline. Preference will be given to researchers in the fields of politics and history.
- At least 3 years’ professional experience in media or research organizations.
- Must be fluent in both English and Nepali languages.
- Should be willing to work full time.
- Demonstrate evidence of investigation and research in subjects like politics, history, foreign affairs.
- Able to analyze complex data and explain in clear language.
- Have a flair for absorbing writing style.
If you think you have all these qualifications, please send in a cover letter explaining why you are the right candidate and your CV/Resume along with names of at least TWO references to firstname.lastname@example.org by March 31, 2017. Applications that do not have all these requirements will not be considered.
Any canvassing will lead to automatic disqualification. Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.